6.29.2012

team DINA.

my sister, nina, became engaged to her love, dan, on saturday... 
then she hopped off to ghana to do a nursing semester abroad (underachiever here..)
and didn't get to tell her story to all who would love to hear it. 

soooo.... 

she's asked that i post it to our family and friends who also read the bloggity blog. 
i have a special connection to this story because, well... i'd like to take credit here. 

i went out with dan first. 
yes, shavs set us up. 
she thinks he's one of the finest men around and set us up while i was hanging in utah-post jersey boys- 
i loved dan. but immediately loved him like a brother. 
he's such a powerful, steady, sure, kind, and insightful man. i loved our conversation, but mid-way thru our dinner, i felt like i should set him up with nina....which is uncomfortable and uncouth to do mid-date. 

so, he asked me to go skiing with him for date #2. i told him i was already planning on skiing with my mom and sisters (bold faced lie) and invited him to come. 
i quickly forced all the gals to go as well and mentioned to nicole that i hoped nina and dan would get along... 

well, get along, they did. 
and 3 months later, they're engaged and i couldn't be happier. 
i think dan brings out the loveliest things in nina and the look on her face in the pictures below just say it all. 

we're so blessed to have dan. we've prayed for him to come into nina's life for a long time. 

here's dan's side of the story (which is hilarious. he's so california...) which he wrote to his fam. i didn't want you to miss a detail. 

I decided a couple of weeks ago that, rather than wait until after Nina got back from her Ghana trip, that I should pop the Q before she left.  I think the hardest part was getting up the courage to call her Dad and ask if I could go down to Orem and talk to him a couple Saturdays ago.  He was really cool about it, and when I went down and met with him, we had a really nice talk.  He's been battling cancer (Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma) and now Graft-Verses-Host Disease after his second bone marrow transplant.  He's an amazing guy.  I basically broke it down for him and told him I thought his daughter was a hot babe (I didn't really say that) and that I wanted to marry her as long as I had his permission.  He was great and gave me the "go ahead". 

So last Saturday I planned a hike up to Stewart Falls (at Sundance).  I had my buddy Rick sneak up behind us and take pictures.  We got to the base of the falls at about 7:30pm and there were just a few other hikers there.  I saw a good spot across the river, and so we risked life and limb and crossed over.  Nina did great and was an unbelievable sport.  I slipped and soaked my left shoe and sock.  Nina made it across dry.  I waited for the hikers to leave so that we could have our moment, and then I pulled out a poem that I had written for her.  It had some funny stuff about our relationship and some very high qual stuff at the end, haha.  She started crying about halfway through it, and by the end we were both struggling a bit.  Then it happened--just as I was about to go for it, a Boy Scout Troop comes walking down the path right in front of us...ouch.  They were throwing rocks and jumping all over the place.  I just maintained my focus and went in for the kill.  I pulled out the ring and took a knee.  It was really an amazing moment and it was hard to even talk.  As soon as I got the words out she said "yes" and wrapped me up.  It was awesome.  My buddy Rick then jumped out of the bushes and came over and took some more pics of us.  She was totally surprised by the whole thing.   

After taking a few pics we hiked down (passed the Scout Troop on the way down...still can't believe those dudes showed up when they did) and went to a nice restaurant at Sundance.  Then we went back to Nina's parent's house and Mom and Dad were there (they came down from the cabin!).  Nina was surprised and happy to see them.  We partied until late that night.  I've been on cloud 9 since--it's all been kind of a blur.

I'm so grateful for all that's happened that I don't even know what to say.  She's the greatest thing that's happened to me and I can't wait to marry her and have her as part of our family.  I can't wait for all of you to get to know her more -- she's amazing.  We aren't sure yet when we are going to have the wedding (prob Nov or Dec), but we will get the word out as soon as we know.  She flew out for Ghana this morning for a month-long study abroad through the U of U Medical School (happy for her, sad for me).  Thanks to everyone for all of the support.  I'm so pumped.











could these pictures be any more precious?! 
(i know nina's semi-dying that she was proposed to in black tennis shoes (she's a proper lady).)

i'm so thrilled for them. 
and up to date, i'd say that was the most beneficial first date i've ever been on!

*for those of you counting, yes.... after DINA's wedding, all of my 4 younger sisters will be married. 
** if anyone else asks me if i'm "ok" with it, i'll sucker punch them. 

I'M FABULOUS AND COULDN'T BE HAPPIER FOR THEM. 

19 comments:

heidi and tom said...

Love you Nat. I especially loved the part about how you prayed that a man like this would come into Nina's life. Nothing quite as powerful as sisterly love. Can't wait to see you lots in the months to come.

andrea said...

Love it!!! So happy you shared both sides. Love stories are the best. These two seem perfect together. So glad you got them together. Way to go Yente! ;)

Even happier about the collection of sons your parents are getting. About time for your dad to not be outnumbered!

Excited to see you this Fall.

Erin Elton said...

This news has made me so happy! I am glad you told the story Nat - and so glad you gave Dan a chance on a first date:). He is such a great guy and Nina is amazing! What a power couple in the making! Congratulations to everyone in the family - this is great:)

Brittany said...

what a lovely story! it's clear how much you love your sister and are so excited for her! as the oldest of five girls, i hope i can be as excited for all of my sisters! is that the poem that they're holding in the last picture? can't quite tell.

Jaana said...

Congratulations to your lovely sister! They both look so happy! Oh, and I get it...I have three younger sisters, all of them either married in relationships and I'm still single... and I couldn't be happier for them, either.

ShaLyse Walker said...

Ugh! I got asked if I was "ok" like 50,000 times when my littlest sister got engaged. So annoying! Hahaha
I'm so happy for Nina!

Randi A. said...

I love you and your blog so much. You always make me laugh. You and I are the same age, both the oldest, and both (soon to be) the only unmarried ones. The comments people make can be SO annoying. So I feel ya!

Jon Lefrandt said...

So happy for them!! Love the black tennis shoes/proper lady part. You're always good for an audible laugh Nat. Love all you girls!!

Jon Lefrandt said...

That was me, Ash, not Jon.

Emily Foley said...

Congratulations to your sister! That is a fantastic story all the way around. And for the record, I love the shoes. It shows she's real.

Jill said...

Wait? Did I miss something? When did Ali get married?

LCFrohm said...

i'm with jill. when did ali get married!??!
FILL US IN!

Adrienne said...

The black tennis shoes part KILLED me! I agree, I HAD to laugh out loud.

I know Dan from San Francisco. He's awesome . . . and lucky to have her!

Carla said...

You and your sisters are so beautiful....and your mom. Good genes! How could you not be happy for your sisters? You clearly love them and all of you have such a tight bond, it's beautiful. I've enjoyed following your adventures w/ family & broadway, but I don't remember Ali getting married?? My younger sister married before I did and I hated being asked 'when are you getting married?' but then after I was married it didn't stop, just got replaced with 'when are you having a baby?' ugh!

Renaissance Woman said...

Just one more reason why I love your family. So many amazing stories. So many awesome memories. I couldn't be happier for Nina. If they want to honeymoon in Korea, we have a guest suite and a car! Hugs…

AJ Candrian said...

Ha.. awesome. I know Dan. Very nice guy.

The Andersens said...

I love this!!! Team Dina all the way!! Love these two, love them even more together!! Could not be happier!! Thanks for sharing the pictures and details!! :)

Jill said...

so glad you posted this! buddies with fifer from LA. it's about time! she must be one amazing girl. so excited for them.

emily said...

did ali get married?